Music Banter - View Single Post - The Problems With Horror Movies...
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
TL;DR:
Horror movies are ruined by stupid things, like stupid endings and following the same stupid formula, and showing us too much and making the movie itself seem stupid.
Thing is, you could say this about any film marketed at a specific genre's audience. Westerns of all kinds, films about cops who don't play by the rules, boy-meets-girl romantic comedies, family-oriented melodramas, screwball comedies...so many different kinds of movies are derivative of others of its ilk in terms of structure, content, character arcs and so on.

What you have to ask yourself is if the genre films your watching's telling an interesting story that's worth your attention, and not necessarily how original it is. For example, I didn't like Avatar much but loved the Dead Pool - both films are derivative of different genres, but one told a story I enjoyed more than the other.

Insidious was awful, Paranormal Activity boring as hell and Drag Me To Hell was only alright, so I'd advise against using those as measuring sticks for the whole horror genre, as there are far better examples of it out there. Maybe you're simply not a horror person (it's far from my favourite genre personally), but it's worth looking out for them.

Yes, the horror genre attracts bad writing, acting and direction like moths to a flame, but so do sports dramas, rom-coms, action movies and so on - writing off all the genre based on a few crap films from it is unfair really.

Last edited by Bulldog; 11-04-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote