Music Banter - View Single Post - My Opinion Column About Music
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I think you're getting the definition of mainstream wrong. Just because those bands are widely loved by many, many people does not make them mainstream. Dictionary.com defines it as the dominant course, tendency, or trend at the present time. Go listen to any popular radio station around where you live for an hour. Let me know if you hear anything by any of those three bands. If you're lucky, you'll hear Today by Smashing Pumpkins or maybe Creep by Radiohead, but that's the best you'll get.
Are you fucking serious about the Smiths, Radiohead and the Smashing Pumpkins not being mainstream? For starters the Smiths are pretty much a British musical institution and anybody that was around in the 1980s and into music, normally had a Smiths song embedded into their mind and the indie crowd that used to walk around wearing tight black trousers, were 99% of the time into the Smiths as well. As for Radiohead, they led the post brit-pop era here in the UK and were/still are one of the biggest bands of the time, I mean I can`t think of another British band since the heydays of Pink Floyd that played such complex music and still appealed to large sections of the music public. Also, the Smashing Pumpkins were probably one of the biggest bands of the 1990s.

I admit I find it amusing how you criticize certain elements of music and then have the audacity to say Coldplay are a good band.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote