Music Banter - View Single Post - Crosswalking
Thread: Crosswalking
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #83 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Pedestrian, I'm delighted to hear that your mother made it, and that things seem to be going a lot better for you both now. Sadly, whenever we hear the mention of the "C" word, it's usually taken as read that this will lead to the catastrophic loss we none of us want to endure, but all know we will have to face at one time or another. I lost my own mother to cancer in 1991, so I know how horrible it feels, how helpless it makes you, and how you're torn between the selfishness of wanting her to stay while at the same time knowing she's in pain, and the cold pragmatism of wanting her pain to end. A horrible, horrible place to be, and I, like many others sadly, have been there.

Thank you so much for your high praise of my journal. I do my best. I've always been interested in writing, and music, though the two have never really meshed in this way before, so it's gratifying to know that someone appreciates the work I do. I often feel I'm a little repetitive, and as I mentioned in my journal some time ago I am not really that knowledgeable about the intricacies of musical instruments, notes, chord structure and so on, so don't feel qualified to comment on such areas when I review albums, and tend to delve more into my own impressions of and feelings about the music I review. I hope it works, and doesn't come across as either knowitall or winging it.

I always try to find out all I can about any new (or old) band whose material I'm reviewing, especially for my larger sections like "Gone solo in the game", "Taking centre stage" and "Rock and roll I gave you the best years of my life", and I've often found out so much, and been able to incorporate that into my reviews. I have Wikipedia to thank for that mostly.

As long as there are people out there who will read and enjoy my work, I'll continue doing it, and more importantly, like yourself I'm sure, as long as I enjoy it myself I'll keep making entries in my journal. It's a form of escapism, from the often harsh realities of life, and in another way kind of like talking to your friends about things you enjoy musically. That's how I've come to see a lot of people on MB, as friends. Guess you can lavish no higher praise than that.

Be well.
Trollheart