Music Banter - View Single Post - Jethro Tull: A Passion Play pt. 2
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
What part do you consider twaddle?

The lyrics and story, although written in pretty dense metaphorical verse, are actually quite coherent and tell a very interesting story of death, heaven, hell, and ultimately rebirth. Here's a line by line analysis, if anyone is interested... jethro tull,apassion4

The music in the first half is not quite as strong as the second half, but it is still A+ material, and I think the music in the second half is as close to perfection as you can get.

Some people knock the whole play within play thing (The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles), but if you take record as a mock play, and take that section as a somewhat humorous fable to break up the play, it actually serves its purpose quite well.

It is certainly TAAB's dark sequel, but in my opinion it is equally as good if not better. The most amazing part is that both albums went to #1 upon their release. Those were certainly different times for popular music.
I thought certain segments such as "The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles" to be weaker aspects and much of the album to be a whole load of whimiscal self-indulgence, as said though I don`t dislike the album, but I never have a desire to put it on if I fancy listening to some Jethro Tull.

As said, its amazing how both albums went to the top of the charts as this was hardly mainstream sounding music, but then again prog-rock was at its all time height of popularity around that time period.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote