Music Banter - View Single Post - is prince the best all rounder in music?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Doom Drew
Groupie

I think Prince is definitely up there for best all around, but I don't know if he's the best. Having said that I can't think of anyone better. I find his songwriting to be hit and miss, but a lot of critical hits. I noticed someone brought up Paul McCartney being better than Prince. I'm gonna have to say all around he is not. Paul McCartney is a better song writer, which to me is pretty evident, but as far as technical abilities on instruments (aka musical ability outside of songwriting) Prince is much better. Sure McCartney was a very good Bass player and an okay drummer and a good guitarist, but Prince is an amazing guitarist, good drummer, great bassist, and good keyboardist. He also has a much better vocal range that Paul, though Paul has an excellent voice. On top of that, Prince's showmanship is brilliant. For much of Paul's career he didn't even play live shows. Paul McCartney's showmanship is mediocre but Prince damn near puts on rock operas. Great dancer and furthermore I disagree with a comment that Prince lacks soul flat out.