Music Banter - View Single Post - Review: The Doors, The Doors- 1967
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

I would say that 'Are you Experienced' is still the best on the list, by far. However, with that said, I finally got around to listen to this(I have no idea why it took me so long to start exploring 'The Doors'), and I have to say, I'm quite impressed.

I'd also mention that Frank Zappa's 'Absolutely Free' also came out in 1967, and imo probably one of the most overlooked in his catalog, and of all time.

First four songs, really didn't do much for me. "Break On Through" of course I've heard a million times in my life, and still am kind of 'eh' about the song's repetitiveness.

However, the combination of 'Alabama Song'(amazingly pleasant surprise), and 'Light my Fire'(which I've only heard truncated versions of) really started to get me into this album. 'Backdoor man' just solidified it. From then on, the album is just brilliance until 'The End'.

It's the first time I've heard actually the entire thing in total. I enjoy lengthy songs quite a bit, but it's so meandering, and pointless. I'm sure it was very significant and innovative for it's time, but eh...

Favorite songs:

"End of the Night", "Alabama Song", "Light my Fire".

Personal score: 7.5/10
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote