Music Banter - View Single Post - Nowhere USA Music/Lyrics CRITICS WELCOME
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Hi nowhere,

You're welcome for giving your music the time of day. I'll check out your band's facebook while I respond. I actually visited there earlier, but for some reason I didn't see the demos, and so I resorted to listening to songs on YouTube.

Thanks for the explanation about the allusion to the Biblical devil in the desert. I missed that because I'm not well-versed in Biblical references. Now I understand.

I don't mind the anger and melancholy in your earlier songs. I think those emotions can stay with a person throughout life! (although probably they *do* tend to fade with age, as problems can be better seen in perspective and recognized as more minor than they might feel to a teenager). I would just rid those earlier songs of direct references to high school so that they aren't as easily written off as "teenage angsty."

I understand now about Cailin. I didn't realize it is Gaelic for Girl. I was going to say that if Cailin existed, she doesn't sound good for you! Now you won't have to dump her, at least.

I'm glad you were aware of the double meaning of "fated to be wasted." It was my error in assuming you weren't. I'll listen to Baba O'Reily by The Who again. Oh yes! I remember that song, now. That's one Who song I like!

About your singing: I wouldn't say you aren't talented or capable. I think there are only moments when you get a little out of tune.

I listened to "Say Hi To Virgil" on Facebook, a song I like with its peppy acoustic guitar and playful electric guitar, and I hear that same issue with the vocals: sometimes the vocals are just a little out of tune. I'm assuming this vocalist, whom I'll call Vocalist #1, is you.

The next song, "John Henry," is sung by someone else with a lower, deeper voice. I'll call him Vocalist #2. I like the electric guitar in "John Henry."

It's great that the two of you are taking turns singing lead vocalist for different songs, and I recommend you continue doing that, because it doubles the different "sounds" your songs can have.

I feel that at this point Vocalist #2's voice is the stronger of the two. Your voices have very different sound qualities. Vocalist #2's has greater warmth and resonance, although (based on the song "John Henry") perhaps not the range of Vocalist #1. Vocalist #1 may put more emotion into the vocals.

"Hallmark" -- nice acoustic guitar! This song is sung by Vocalist #1. Your voice (if this is you) sounds a little "thinner" than Vocalist #2's, and again tends to get out of tune sometimes. However, the final, loud singing of "me" is excellent, in my opinion! Vocalist #1 sings that word with the even tone and perfect pitch that would be terrific to have on every note in the song.

I'm not an expert vocalist, but I know there must be exercises you can do to practice regulating your pitch more carefully, such as perhaps singing the main vocal line a couple times with a piano playing the melody to practice matching pitches. I recommend you focus on this aspect of your vocals as a top priority, because everything else about your recordings and music sounds very professional.

Unless you are recording your vocals separately, you won't be able to rip out the vocals and replace them with new ones that you sing at a later date, so this is one reason to solve the pitch issue now. Are you recording tracks individually?

A final comment: it's wonderful that the two of you are making music together as college roommates. Your band's story sounds like the successful stories of many bands one hears about after they are famous. You are both very lucky to have found each other to share your creativity with in this way.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote