Music Banter - View Single Post - Argentina
Thread: Argentina
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #35 (permalink)
Argento
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Yes, I knew Mexico and Argentina were pretty far apart, but didn`t quite realize just how far !
Originally from London, I`ve spent the last 20 years in Mexico, but that doesn`t mean that I know much about modern Latin American bands. Of all the guys you`ve posted on this thread, about six have turned up in the Mexican media, especially Astor Piazzolla, Soda Stereo and Charly García
I'm not surprised about Piazzolla. He is interpreted by philharmonics all around the world. Soda Stereo signed a contract with Sony, and played all around Latin America. But didn't expected Charly García. That's a surprise.

Signed bands are deeply looked down on Argentina. Even despised. So bands tend to avoid contracts with big labels. As a result, this thread is mostly made of self produced bands.
That's good, because they are free to do whatever they want. It also means that bands don't cross borders, don't do international tours, and stay outside from MTV and Grammy awards.
It's bad for their pockets. They have a hard life. But invariably, if they sign a contract, they end ruined in oblivion.

Companies think that they "know" what consumers want. But it seems like they never worry about what consumers really want. They pretend to decide what we "should" want, and we don't want that.

Your post made me connect dots this way.

La Portuaria (no more an independent band), was on his beginnings, a band influenced by Juana Molina.
Although it may not be obvious, on this song she left his footprints:

Selva

Nada es igual

Ruta

The dots connect with Mexico because this band signed a contract with big label, those that impose what bands should do, so they recorded this song with David Byrne (from Talking Heads). It speaks about Mexicans crossing the border to United States:

Hoy no le temo a la muerte

Not bad song, but, just a ripoff from an older one named "
Llévame a lo hondo". That's the kind of stuff that make us hate big labels.

Le hizo un par de promesas imprudentes y así fue que de ella se aburrió.

Last edited by Argento; 11-08-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote