Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu Metal
Thread: Nu Metal
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #358 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Most nu-metal sucks as its not a very good sub-genre of metal, I don`t hate it like some members on here and it has one or two good albums, but I wouldn`t defend it either. It ranks along with melodic metalcore and hair metal as the three worst sub-genres of metal. To be honest though, its probably no more diverse than a lot of other metal genres out there. Nu-metal gets about as diverse as Korn, who after their debut album, more or less cut and pasted the rest of their discography from their debut, it doesn`t say much for a genre when its leading band lacks any real creative input.

Basically a lot of nu-metal acts tried to be more diverse and this often ended in dire results...........just listen to a Coal Chamber or Static X album (if you can bear it). Also other nu-metal bands went down the alt-metal route to survive and become more diverse, the only band that were able to make the transition were the Deftones, which was no real surprise really, as they were head and shoulders above the rest of the nu-metal pack in terms of talent.
That's a pretty good summary. I would agree that the Deftones are the only nu metal band worthy of being exempt from the accusation that nu metal is awful. Presumably by giong down the alt-metal route you mean bands like Three Days Grace and Staind (both of which are pretty meh).
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote