Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #16357 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post

Seam - The Problem With Me (1993)
A very enjoyable yet sometimes sad and melancholic indie rock album. Although they were one of the bands associated with the "slowcore" tag they have plenty of characteristics that set them apart from the likes of Bedhead and Codeine. I'd been meaning to get into this band for a while and this album hits the spot nicely.

Seam - Are You Driving Me Crazy? (1995)
A good album but doesn't seem as enjoyable as The Problem With Me. From first impressions it seems to have a more upbeat and straight-forward indie-rock sound and nothing in particular really stood out. Hopefully that will change with a few more listens.
Can someone get a "nail on the head"?

Headsparks is probably somewhere in between those two, it has a lot of good qualities to it ("Decatur" is stellar) but some dull and repetitive passages as well. The way I see it, Are You Driving Me Crazy? was a more direct attempt to pander to indie music fans. And it's not much of a surprise they kinda faded into the nether after that.

In many ways, Seam plays a more subtle version of the same hi-energy indie rock that was coming out of Chapel Hill at the time. After all, Mac McCaughan (of Superchunk & Merge Records fame) WAS part of Seam; I don't know how extensive his contributions were, but that may have contributed to the dynamics of The Problem With Me and Headsparks.