Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #16359 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Can someone get a "nail on the head"?

Headsparks is probably somewhere in between those two, it has a lot of good qualities to it ("Decatur" is stellar) but some dull and repetitive passages as well. The way I see it, Are You Driving Me Crazy? was a more direct attempt to pander to indie music fans. And it's not much of a surprise they kinda faded into the nether after that.

In many ways, Seam plays a more subtle version of the same hi-energy indie rock that was coming out of Chapel Hill at the time. After all, Mac McCaughan (of Superchunk & Merge Records fame) WAS part of Seam; I don't know how extensive his contributions were, but that may have contributed to the dynamics of The Problem With Me and Headsparks.
I was kind of put off downloading Headsparks because some people seem to have lukewarm views on it, but I probably will give it a listen sometime. I'm enjoying The Problem With Me quite a lot and I think it's a solid album. I still cant seem to get into Are You Driving Me Crazy? I has a couple of songs that seem better than the others but there's nothing really in particular that really grabs my attention. It sounds very generic 90's indie rock and is kind of disappointing compared to The Problem With Me.