Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater
Thread: Dream Theater
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Haha, well Tool once based a song on a math formula as you probably know.
I saw Tool live and it sent shivers down my spine the whole concert. Haha, I even feel them whilst typing this. It was an epic experience. I'm not sure what Tool does right.
I see what you mean with the Gentle Giant comparison, altough I must say I never listen to GG, and I to listen to DT a couple of times a year. Not too often.
I should admit that I really only play Images and Words every now and then. Because I like the music, but also because I'm an audiofreak and even though the record has a sharp 90's sound to it, it's a brilliant recording

Part of this is due to the singer I think. The music is, imho, far better than the singing itself. Technically he's a very good singer, but again, it lacks feel.
Or, if you will, emotional component (I couldn't think of that, being dutch and all )
In terms of the Tool math thing, I'm sure you're referring to Lateralus and the whole Fibonacci sequence thing, which was cool. That is a great album, and you are right about the math there; however, Tool still adds a layer of feel or emotional resonance on top of that,which made that album great.. if that album or any album was based solely on a math formula it would fall flat on its face. Agreed on GG vs. DT. I spin DT somewhat frequently, but I rarely listen to GG. I also saw Tool live on the Lateralus tour and it was amazing. Better than any DT show that I have seen.