Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Best Guitarist Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #1004 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobylotoczko View Post
This Haino fella, what a joke. Great as a discussion point on the difference between music and noise, but who's gonna sit back and listen to his records when theres no melody, rhythm, structure... it sounds awful. Plenty of guitarists have a whole lot of feeling AND could string a song together, this is just musical diarrhoea.
Yes, but all of them follow templated patterns which are pioneered for them. Haino practically reinvents an instrument, and it's possibilities.

It's completely illogical to say 'string a song together' as if that were difficult. To write a verse chorus song, then slap a fancy solo in the bridge is the easiest thing in the world to do. It's what made 80s hair metal so ****ing boring.

Haino does not benefit from these things for a reason. You have to remember he's an IMPROVISER which means, you can throw structure out the window. As for rhythm, in that video with Tatsuya Yoshida he's very very clearly playing off the rhythm of the other two parties involved, even if he's employing discord rather than harmony. Just because it's an odd/complex rhythm it doesn't mean it's not there. Definitely if there's a sense of anything in those jams it's rhythm.

As for 'awful'... That's just like an old lady complaining about a film being too violent. It's not 'awful' it's 'unpleasent', and that's the point. Some of Haino's work is incredibly melodic, and accessible. Very little, mind you, but some. However, ugly doesn't make bad art, my friend. Sometimes the most grotesque things sell the best point, and there's no reason why music should be any different.

The topic of the thread is 'best guitarist' not 'best composer', and what I interpret is 'best at utilizing the instrument of guitar'. Haino's work by far, as strange as it may be, is probably some of the most emotionally driving, unique, versatile work anyone has done. As an guitarist, he can spontaneously(note: improvised) produce the strongest 'voice' of any guitarist I've ever heard. Give him 30 minutes, and he'll knock you into another ****ing world.

You just have to open your mind.

This is exactly what bothers me about 'guitar guys'. In a sense, the clamor for a more spiritual, emotional experience with guitar like the instrument had back in the old days of blues(and seriously, older bluesman were not technicians by any means), but then when it comes to somebody who actually does reflect that emotion(even if in a non-blues form), it's not accepted because it's 'different' therefore bizarrely characterized as somehow improper.

Then, in his place, they worship people who blandly take the chord structures of old bluesman, sanitize them to emotional oblivion, then speed them up 100,000x times. Only feigning emotion by throwing in the off ballad with ridiculously cheesy pitch bends. Then, return to the blind shredding. As if music is about nothing more than how fast you can synchronize with a metronomic pattern.

Haino is legit, and he plays in a way that shows he actually gets emotional feedback from his instrument. Furthermore, there are moments that show he knows his way around the instrument. He just abstracts it because the tone, and raw emotion is more important than proving how big his cock is.

If you ask me, THAT is what makes a good guitarist. I it's unpleasant, who gives a ****? Life is unpleasant.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote