Music Banter - View Single Post - Pick a Classic, Rank its Covers
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

While watching "The Full Monty" yesterday with my parents, I realized during the final scene that I'd heard the song, "You Can Leave Your Hat On," in another movie, "9 1/2 Weeks."

So I became curious about the song...although perhaps that was due to its tendency to be paired with scenes of stripping. I don't know, maybe that has something to do with it. Below is the original, followed by my ranking of its covers:

THE ORIGINAL:
Randy Newman - "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (1972)
This song appeared in his album Sail Away. It's a good song. It serves its purpose well. My only real complaint about the original is that it lacks a little pep compared to some of the future covers.

COVER #1:
Tom Jones - "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (1997)
Tom Jones covered the song for the British film "The Full Monty." This cover has a lot more pizzazz and excitement than the original. I like the trumpets! Below is the song used in the cute final scene from the movie, which I feel is sweet because it shows how anyone can be sexy, since sexy is an attitude and not just a look. My favorite scene happens earlier, though, and is when Dave, who feels self-loathing and shame over his weight, doesn't want to strip and asks his wife dejectedly, "Who would want to see this?!" She looks at him and answers, "I would." Awwwww.

COVER #2:
Joe Cocker - "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (1986)

Used in the movie "9 1/2 Weeks." Maybe I'm biased by seeing Kim Basinger's playful striptease, but I think the cover is pretty nice.

COVER #3
Michael Grimm - "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (2010)
I didn't expect to like this cover, since I wasn't too impressed by Michael Grimm's style of singing on America's Got Talent, but I admit his voice works well for the song. This was a disappointment, because I liked disliking his music.

COVER #4
Ty Herndon - "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (1999)
I also didn't expect to like this version, since Ty is a country singer. Although I don't prefer his country accent and I feel the song seems a little bland, I still didn't hate the cover. I think that's because I feel the song is simply a good composition: short, sweet, amusing, seductive. Even a country singer couldn't kill off its good qualities entirely.

COVER #5
Three Dog Blind - "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (1975)

Sounds a little sluggish and I don't care so much for the singer's slurred voice or the organ (of course) in the background.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote