Music Banter - View Single Post - Poll: Fred Neil`s self-titled album
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I rather expected that this would be an album of mediocre material padding out the one famous track of Everybody`s Talkin`. So I was pleased to hear a bunch of songs of consistently good quality, and, despite what Argento says, a voice that has a distinctive, relaxed tone.
But on these points, I`d agree :-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
-Sweet Cocaine. Classy blues. It can’t fail.
-Green Rocky Road. Heard it a million times, with different lyrics.
-Cynicrustpetefredjohn Raga. It would be effective as a soundtrack for some movie’s scene. It conveys a sense of chaos, but do not tries to catch conscious attention. It makes my thoughts wander.

I get the sensation that the album intends to be “just okay”. Doesn’t have ambitions.
If I`d bought this album when it came out, I think I might`ve been disappointed by it`s low-key approach. It`s interesting, mellow but never tries for anything more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
I like the subtle elements of psychedelia woven into some of the songs (although, they weren't all that subtle with the ending track). It's a very original release, and the country-ish twang of it all helped bring warmth to its sounds.

Favorite track: "I've Got a Secret"... the whistling is a bit cheesy, but I still welcomed it with open arms.

It's not a criminally obscure gem nor is it a brilliant work of folk rock, but it's still pretty damn good if you ask me.
^ Yep! I agree completely, especially about I`ve Got a Secret, which is equal favourite with Dolphins for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazstp View Post
I think my interest in this album was more historical than anything. I came across it while looking for Harry Nilsson's version of Everybody's Talkin'. I never realised it was a cover and reading up on Fred Neil he seemed to be an influential artist in the folk movement that I had never heard of. I guess I nominated it as a kind of manic reparation .

Anyway that said I thought it was a pretty good album. I originally nominated the bluesier Bleecker and MacDougal but decided on this one as a folkier milestone.
^ These days, I think it`s unusual that such a well-known song comes from a guy who has received so little public attention - so thanks for bringing FN to my notice. I`ll certainly be playing this album again.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote