Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #935 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Humans are not actually supposed to eat meat, but since we invented fire we've been eating it, so I guess we've changed the evolution quite a bit
Humans are well-adapted to eating meat, Tsunami, so I'm not sure why you say we aren't "supposed" to eat meat. Biologically we are omnivores. Many foods, whether derived from plants or animals, can contain toxins or indigestible portions, yet this doesn't prevent us from obtaining beneficial nutrients from the foods.

Also, I want to point out that our early hominid ancestors are thought to have eaten meat raw, so meat-eating came before the use of fire for cooking:

Quote:
WHAT DID EARLY HOMINIDS EAT?
Hall of Human Origins | American Museum of Natural History

By two million years ago, our ancient relatives had added meat to their diet. How do we know? Animal bones from around this time have been found with cut marks made by stone tools, a clear indication that early hominids cut up animal carcasses to eat the meat. Firm evidence for the domestication of fire is only occasional at best before 400,000 years ago, so early hominids such as Homo ergaster probably ate their meat raw.
Finally, I don't follow your explanation for why you feel eating meat isn't murder. You seem to be saying that it isn't murder simply because people are so used to killing and eating animals. Is that the gist of your reason? How are you defining murder?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote