Music Banter - View Single Post - Review: Gentle Giant, Octopus- 1972
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
You're right they're not a trad. sounding rock band, but I find their music to be full of warmth and emotion. I just feel that GG had such joy as they played, that it ingrained itself so forcefully into the music and created some of the most exuberant and cheerful sounds I've ever heard. I find their music extremely exhilarating and a nice contrast to the dour tone of some other prog bands. I'd recommend you try "The Power and The Glory", which is a little more accessible, but still has that GG sense of playful adventure the we all know and love. IMO, one of the best prog. bands, ever. Cheers!
/gg.jpg[/IMG]
I actually really wanted to like GG. I've exhausted all the discographies of the first wave of 70's prog bands, and GG was the last one left with the album a year kind of activity that the other prog bands of the era were doing (my favorite period of music), but they just never hit home. I'm definitely going to pick up "The Power and the Glory" and see if that hits home more than "Octopus" and "In A Glass House". Thanks for the recommendation.