Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #478 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Hot fuss --- The Killers --- 2004 (Lizard King)

I first heard the Killers when I saw a video for “All these things that I've done”, loved it and wanted to hear more. But kind of like when I first heard “Ashes” by Embrace, I found that listening to their other tracks didn't seem to measure up to this great single. Over time though, I've heard more than a few tracks in playlists, though I have as yet to listen to the album all the way through, which is a situation I am now going to remedy. Having heard probably about half of the album via playlists, I think I can be reasonably confident that this will be an album I'm going to enjoy, and recommend.

Of course, you probably know it already. It has after all sold over seven million copies, spawned four hit singles, and seems never to be off the radio. But for anyone who hasn't heard it, these are my impressions, for what they're worth. First though, a little background. Far from being an overnight sensation, the Killers, based out of America's adult Disneyland, Las Vegas, were largely ignored by the music press and the public when they released their first single from this, their debut album, and it wasn't until the release of the second single, “Mr. Brightside”, that they clicked, and people began listening to, then buying, their records, and fame and success followed. The album subsequently hit the number one spot, as did the two after it.

“Jenny was a friend of mine” is the opening track, and apparently it's part of a “murder trilogy”. Not too sure what's going on there, but the first part is on a rarities compilation, this is the second, and “Midnight show” is the finale. Seems a bit odd to do that --- I mean, why not have the trilogy all on the one album, or at least on “standard” ones? Anyway, “Jenny” is a good powerful rocker, with great keyboard work from lead vocalist and main songwriter Brandon Flowers, with some good guitar licks from Dave Keuning. Very full keyboard sound making it almost a techno song, but heavy for all that. It leads into “Mr. Brightside”, the song that started it all for them.

Good fast rhythm with cool piano and great dirty guitar, the song of a jealous boyfriend who knows his girl is cheating on him, it's sung with real venom and passion by Flowers, touch of Blondie in there, very catchy, and easy to see how it captured the imagination and attention of record-buyers when it was released as a single. Lots of energy in the song. A little slower then is “Smile like you mean it”, yet another single, led by some jangly guitar, great riffs and fine vocals from Flowers. Some very new-wave style keys adding a real mid-eighties flavour, then a great guitar riff reminiscent of the Edge at his best.

Things speed back up then for “Somebody told me”, guitar-led with a great hook and some interesting lyrical ideas: ”Somebody told me/ That you had a boyfriend/ Who looked like a girlfriend/ That I had...” Very boppy, good rocker, which leads into the song that started it all for me, “All these things that I've done”. You've more than likely heard it. Starts off on echoey keys and organ and an almost gospel intro, then gets going with solid drumming and a great guitar riff to take the song into its main melody. Halfway through it slows down for the by-now-famous refrain ”I've got soul/ But I'm not a soldier”, helped out by the Sweet Inspirations Gospel Choir. Personally I still see this as the best track on the album, and nothing they've done has come close, though there have been some good songs.

Sharp guitar then introduces “Andy, you're a star”, a slower, bluesy tune kind of in the style of REM with a flavour of Nick Cave too. Peppy synth leads the way for “On top”, a mid-paced tune which sounds like the Cars jamming with U2. “Change your mind” is a breezy, upbeat song which resonates with hope and optimism, keyboards and guitar working in perfect harmony to create a mutli-layered sound and carry the song along. Brandon Flowers has quite a unique voice, and it's used to good effect on this track.

“Believe me Natalie” comes in on a low, keyboard and synth intro, with drums then crashing in and guitar riffing, and some nice brass or synth-brass near the end, then the murder trilogy concludes with “Midnight show”, a fast, almost frenetic track with lots of guitar, desperation and frustration in the lyric, finishing with a nice synthy keyboard run.

The album closes on the slowburner “Everything will be alright”, the vocal kind of warped, as if being routed through some sort of effect, slow organ and clicking, minimal percussion providing a low-key ending to an album that began so powerfully and, in its own way, ends that way too.

As a debut album, it's certainly up there with the better ones. I'm still not a hundred percent sure that I would go out and buy another of the Killers' albums, but I'm glad I listened to this all the way through for once. A rewarding experience, without doubt.

TRACKLISTING

1. Jenny was a friend of mine
2. Mr. Brightside
3. Smile like you mean it
4. Somebody told me
5. All these things I've done
6. Andy, you're a star
7. On top
8. Change your mind
9. Believe me Natalie
10. Midnight show
11. Everything will be alright