Music Banter - View Single Post - Surreptitiously, However...
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Yeah, I've heard the Style Council are a bit iffy, which is what's kept me from listening to them further to be honest. Maybe one of these days I'll get round to it.

As for Absolute Beginners, the musical numbers and set-pieces are really damn good, but like a good 90% of other musicals I've ever watched, the rest of the film's let down by dodgy acting, a weak plot and so on. It's worth checking out for yourself one day though.
Will do sir, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Just so you (and everyone else interested) know, I'll soon be compiling a "Beginner's Guide to The Divine Comedy", sometime in the next few weeks, other workload and life permitting (though in fairness, I have very little of the latter!)

I've already created one for Threshold and Balance of Power, and in case you haven't seen them they basically give an intro to the artiste, pick out selected tracks from each of their albums and let you decide whether or not you'd be into them, or if you already are, what albums are considered their best (and worst).

Like the squeaky-voiced teen said in "The Simpsons" --- "Keep watching the skis!"
I'll be on the lookout for the guide, then, I'm curious about which songs you're going to choose.

Flying Nun!

Now, you may be thinking: What's this geezer aiming at with another post about Flying Nun Records? Well, It's not really a post about Flying Nun Records per se. There, ran rings round you logically.
It is, however, a post with a few tracks from bands which I quite like that happen to be on that brilliant record company. With that in mind, here are some "bringer-uppers", if you ever find yourself in the need. God knows I do.

I Like Rain by Jean-Paul Sarte Experience (later JPS experience, bloody copyrighting) is one of those tunes you just instantly fall in love it.
It's such a fun, endearing, playful, childish song that you can't really help it. I couldn't, at least:

"It’s good to be inside and comfy
I like rain
Falling on my window (I like rain)
I like rain
Splashing on the roof (I like rain)
I like rain
Dancing on the pavement (I like rain)
I like rain
When I’m inside"

Come on now, is that not brilliant? It's so...it's so bloody simple, so pure. Not only that, it quite appeals to an idiot like myself, who would possibly rather go jump in puddles and act like a tit than actually study, which is what I should do.
Be sure to have a look at the video, it's immense.

The gist of it would be:

1. Anything can happen;
2. Said thing that can happen may very well happen in the near future;
3. The choice is effectively yours to make said thing worthwhile.

Bear that in mind.

In any case, I've always felt this song had a very summery, islandy feel, and I really bloody like it.

And well, as my time draws to an end and daunting Law books draw nearer and nearer, I'll leave you with just a few more tracks:

The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote