Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead vs. Jimi Hendrix
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Great thread. Two of my favorite guitarists ever. I just saw Buckethead live last month, one of the best concerts I've ever seen. He even played a little Hendrix. But I haven't seen Hendrix. I love The Buckethead.

Emotion: Hendirx
Sensuality: Hendrix
Creativity: Hendrix
Diversity: Buckethead
Influence: Jimi Hendrix
Technical Ability: Buckethead

If Hendrix was just getting started today, he wouldn't be that creative. But that's a pretty stupid hypothetical thing to say. Hendrix came from a different time, and he was more creative and innovative in his own time than Buckethead is today.

Hendrix recorded so much music that you have to do some digging to find. You can't just judge him based on his most popular stuff because he has better stuff that most people don't hear. Hendrix was a pretty good lyricist too, I think Hendrix was a overall better songwriter.

But what thing is for certain, nobody can cover Hendrix songs as well as Buckethead. He does a great job.

He doesn't start playing Hendrix till about 4 minutes in, but that's when it gets good.

Praxis - Guitar Solo/Machine Gun (Live) Vegoose - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Salami View Post
I never said that! I think Hendrix should be number 4 or 5. The top two are Duane Allman and Eric Clapton for me. This is all very subjective, so don't think I am trying to assert superiority or anything like that.

Let me put it this way: I would rather have Hendrix play at my birthday party than Buckethead. I hope that won't offend you.
I like your style man. I love Duane, The Allman Bros are one of my favorite bands. I love Clapton too, but I wouldn't put him above Hendrix. Clapton wouldn't put himself above Hendrix either, haha. I'd put Duane above Clapton, but I don't know if I could put him above Hendrix. Duane probably had a more technical approach to his playing than clapton and Hendrix.

Last edited by blastingas10; 11-12-2011 at 03:19 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote