Music Banter - View Single Post - Pick a Classic, Rank its Covers
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcreek View Post
three dog blind is good but three dog night is even better
Gracious me, someone actually read to the end of my post!

Yeah, "Three Dog Blind" are pretty good...for a non-existence band.

I think I got confused by thinking of three blind mice.

Today the song "Blue Moon" was going through my head, and I determined to track down the origin of this song.

THE ORIGINAL: "Blue Moon"
Written by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart in 1934; first recorded by Connee Boswell (1935)
I learned from Wikipedia that "there is another verse that comes before the usual start of the song. Both Eric Clapton and Rod Stewart used it in their recent versions of the song. The last line of this extra verse is 'Life was a bitter cup for the saddest of all men.' " That line doesn't work so well when the singer is a woman, so that is probably the reason Connee did not sing it.

I'll post a few covers and rank them. It looks like there are a lot of covers...over 60. I'll have my work cut out for me if I listen to them all!

Cover #1:
Joe Robinson - "Blue Moon" (instrumental) (2007)
When deciding which covers to listen to, I picked Joe Robinson's as one of the first six because I read on Wikipedia that he is a 19 year old Australian virtuoso guitarist. I wanted to hear what a virtuoso guitar player would do with the song. He makes it interesting and I enjoyed his bluesy performance, so currently his cover is in The #1 Spot. You have to get through the little intro before you can see him play:

Cover #2
My Morning Jacket - "Blue Moon" (2005)
I didn't expect to like this cover after I read that My Morning Jacket is a rock band, but I was curious what they'd do to the song, so I listened. And although I think they got a little too electro-dancy with the beat, I liked the pretty, bell-like electric guitar, one of my favorite sounds to create with an electric guitar. I gave their cover extra points for surprising me with its sound and for making me feel a little wistful, which the other versions don't do.

Cover #3:
Johnny (Sha Na Na) - "Blue Moon"
I was familiar with this version from the movie Grease. I like that the song sounds solid and confident. I had thought it was the original version until I learned better (while creating this post):

Cover #4:
Greta Keller - "Blue Moon" (1935)
A very sweet version, I felt, with pretty, tinkling piano. I liked the depressed lyrics that proceeded the traditional "Blue Moon" song. I hadn't heard those before.

Cover #5
Frank Sinatra and Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra - "Blue Moon"
Pleasantly jazzy and light

Cover #6
Rod Stewart - "Blue Moon"

Too gentle and syrupy. Sounds like elevator music or, more specifically, the background music that would be playing in Hobby Lobby. I know that, because I go to Hobby Lobby. They've got some really nice kids' crafts and paint stuff and fabrics.

More covers to come...only around (let's see now) 58 - 4 = 54 more. :/
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-14-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added 4 more covers
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote