Music Banter - View Single Post - MB GENERAL ALBUM CLUB: Pg.Lost - Key
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #307 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

I always find with classic albums that I respect their work, but seldom appreciate them as much as I feel they are owed. Time and time again I find myself listening to something that's been hailed as a masterpiece and thinking either "that was okay" or "that was kind of dull".

Couple that with my tendency to be impatient with psychedelic rock and Tago Mago has intimidated me, because all I have known of it before this club was a number of people saying "fuck Aumgn, shit's bad". I'm looking at the track right now. 18 minutes. I'm mildly concerned. Things have been pretty good so far, Oh Yeah is a great song, but from what I've heard, it all goes to hell at that point.

Halleluhwah isn't disappointing either, but so far I'm feeling like this album works best as something you'd relax to or put on as you multi-tasked some other activity, probably due to the length and repetition of it.

Aumgn. I thought I was going to hate this song. It's honestly not that bad, and contains some of the more interesting moments of this album. It's pretty much just drone at normal speed. I was expecting to have some sort of brain bleed after some of the things people have said about it, but it's one of the more intellectually stimulating tracks. I don't think I would have the patience for it regularly, but I appreciate what was done here. I think I actually have less patience for the track that follows it, which is pretty irritating, if I'm being honest.

I definitely felt like I needed a palate cleanser after Peking O, and was grateful to find that the final track was one, which was a smart decision.

I'm glad to have done this album in the club, because it means I am now so slightly more educated than I was, but I don't foresee myself listening to this album again any time soon, if at all, and in that respect I feel like I let the team down. Shame, because I do get so much pleasure from discovering that albums are classic for a reason, but a person can't love everything, can they?
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote