Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #351 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
What's the word on Street Legal? I've only listened to a song or two off the album. I got it downloading now.
^ The word from me is that you`re in for a real treat; although there are a couple of weaker tracks, I`ve always considered this to be one of Dylan`s most satisfying albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
it works on songs like New Pony and Changing of the Guards, not when he's calling and the girls responding as on Baby Stop Crying

baby stop crying --- stop crying!!!
stop crying ----- STOP CRYINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!
^ Admitedly this track goes on way too long, but elsewhere, on the tracks you mention, and especially on Where are you tonight I have no problem with the whole big-band style production.
This is an album packed with excellent lyrics, and Dylan`s discordant voice cuts through all the slick effects; he sounds like a lone rebel, struggling to be heard above a band that is determined to march on regardless, and this gives the best songs an unusual tension. While the musicians are trying to drown him out, he insists on wailing away about renegade priests, forbidden fruit, infinity and Armageddon like some deranged prophet. A truly exceptional performance !
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote