Music Banter - View Single Post - Spanish language music anyone?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #132 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Ladies and gentlemen: attention, please! A bunch of heavyweights is coming. Essential. In fact, I'd say that if you don't know who the following guys are, then you don't have a decent knowledge of Spanish-language rock at a global level. Capish?

*Madrid (Spain), late 70's: in the working-class neighborhoods, many good bands arose. They sang about that social environment and its daily life (injustice, drugs, juvenile delinquency, social problems, youth's life, etc.). This rock music was called rock urbano ("urban rock"). Leño (1977-1983) is probably its most important and influential act.

These two songs are El tren ("The Train", 1979) and ¡Corre, corre! ("Run Along, Run Along!", 1982):

El tren

♫ "El tren. ................................ The train.
Sube a mi tren azul. ................................ Get on my blue train!
Su dulce chimenea te puede dar ................................ Its sweet chimney can give you
algo que hace tiempo buscas tú. ................................ something you've been looking for.
Si controlas tu viaje serás feliz. ................................ If you control your trip you'll be happy.

El tren. ................................ The train.
Un día yo quise viajar en él. ................................ One day I wanted to travel by train.
Subí despacio y me acomodé. ................................ I boarded it slowly and I got settled.
Ví rostros deshechos de satisfacción. ................................ I saw faces brimming with satisfaction.
Si controlas tu viaje serás feliz. ................................ If you control your trip you'll be happy.

El tren. ................................ The train.
Después de latir a velocidad ................................ After beating fast
ya va lento a su final ................................ it slowly moves on to its destination
y casi no sabes cuándo va a parar. ................................ and you hardly know when it will stop.
Si controlas tu viaje serás feliz. ................................ If you control your trip you'll be happy." ♫

(Did you get the "psychotropic metaphors"?)

These are Castigo ("Punishment", 1979) and an awesome live performance of Este Madrid ("This Madrid", 1979; chorus says "Madrid is a sh*t, where not even the rats can live"):

Sorprendente ("Surprising", 1982) and Sí señor, sí señor ("Yes Sir, Yes Sir", 1980):

And also (click): El oportunista ("The Opportunist"), Aprendiendo a escuchar ("Learning to Listen"), Todo es más sencillo ("Everything is Easier"), Entre las cejas ("Between the Eyes"), ¡Qué desilusión! ("How Disappointing!"), Mientras tanto ("Meanwhile"), Sodoma y chabola ("Sodom and shanty") and in general their entire discography.

To be continued....

Last edited by Zaqarbal; 11-18-2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: minor correction (one word).
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote