Music Banter - View Single Post - Should rock be considered prog just because it's technical?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #58 (permalink)
ericbfg
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
But thats an old school attitude to prog! Its kind of, if it doesn`t sound like Yes or Genesis then it ain`t real prog. Prog by its nature is experimental and I see no reason why it shouldn`t incorporate all types of music regardless. If a metal or punk band has enough prog elements, then they should be regarded as prog within their genres. I will agree though that a lot of bands especially metal bands get called prog, when all they`re really doing is just playing longer songs in a far more technical manner. Hence within the sub metal genre of death metal some of the bands get called progressive death metal, whilst other get called technical death metal..........it get confusing.

BTW, good first ever post
Thanks! Good topic as well as I have strong opinions on this, but I am not so pure Genesis and Yes from a Prog standpoint, many bands I think of as Prog such as the Flower Kings, Anathema, Karmakanic and the Tangent are from the last decade, they are all different and I agree that Metal is ok to sub categorise as Prog, Porcupine Tree, fit this perfectly. Like you said, it is confusing. But I am clear that I believe that bands such as Metallica, Led Zeppelin etc should not be referred to as prog for the reasons I have already mentioned.
cheers
ericbfg is offline   Reply With Quote