Music Banter - View Single Post - Should rock be considered prog just because it's technical?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #60 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbfg View Post
I think that all the bands you mentioned have one or more elements of Prog in their sound, but they musically differ..of course they do, all bands within a genre will..
But as long as they incorporate some of the elements below they could qualify as prog
Longer songs, ranging to epic length
Fantasy elements and spiritual themes
Symphonic sounds
Complex time signatures
Classically influenced elements
Concept albums
Theatrical performance
That was sort of my point. None of the points you mention are unique to prog rock. Fantasy elements are abound in metal, classical music for example has very long songs, folk rockers have been playing around with old instruments, concept albums can be found in most genres .. and theatrical performances, although it's not something I think of as typical of prog, is also found in other genres.

The point is that a band is prog when it falls within a certain range of possible combinations of certain musical characteristics. That's how useless genres are sometimes. You telling me that a band needs to possess "some elements" in order to be prog only confirms what I wrote.