Music Banter - View Single Post - Does smoking Marijuana make music better?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #92 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
Not to say that I'm a better listener, or that layered means more musical. Just calling BS on the concept that weed somehow makes complex music more easy to comprehend. When, in actuality, all evidence points that pot makes one crave the opposite.

As for demanding I smoke weed, I take the Frank Zappa defense. The man heavily criticized drug usage, and heavily questioned it's importance in understanding/creating music. Perhaps, I'm utilizing an element of shared knowledge as he's probably the most clear minded, and logical, thinker of any musician I've seen.
Really? I'd love to see that research. In fact, I'd love to see any research that says marijuana explicitly causes any sort of absolute psychological change (not physical, physiological, or symptomatic) in every single user every time they use it. You're completely out of your element here and you seem to be trying to cover up your nonsensical viewpoints by referencing the experiences of others and your own "observations", which is complete and utter bull****. Marijuana causes the most diverse and varied responses of nearly any naturally occurring substance in the world, and it has been proven countless times that no two people can experience it the same. Sure, there are lots of commonly shared feelings and effects that stem from the act of physically ingesting the substance, but the mental stimulation that cannabis provides baffles even the most well-read scholars.

Furthermore, what does logic have anything to do with making music? Music isn't a problem to be solved, and any attempt at scientific analysis of music, or the idea that you can frame music with the same methods used to come to factual evidence, is void because music predates science. Music predates all human understanding, as it is one of the most natural and uncomplicated things on Earth. Your claim that the music you prefer is more "layered/complex" only makes sense in your eyes because you force man-made constructs like meter, time, rhythm, etc. on something that can never be qualitatively measured. You actively try to dissect something that shouldn't be dissected just so you can feel superior to others.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote