Music Banter - View Single Post - Does smoking Marijuana make music better?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #95 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
Really? I'd love to see that research. In fact, I'd love to see any research that says marijuana explicitly causes any sort of absolute psychological change (not physical, physiological, or symptomatic) in every single user every time they use it. You're completely out of your element here and you seem to be trying to cover up your nonsensical viewpoints by referencing the experiences of others and your own "observations", which is complete and utter bull****. Marijuana causes the most diverse and varied responses of nearly any naturally occurring substance in the world, and it has been proven countless times that no two people can experience it the same. Sure, there are lots of commonly shared feelings and effects that stem from the act of physically ingesting the substance, but the mental stimulation that cannabis provides baffles even the most well-read scholars.

Furthermore, what does logic have anything to do with making music? Music isn't a problem to be solved, and any attempt at scientific analysis of music, or the idea that you can frame music with the same methods used to come to factual evidence, is void because music predates science. Music predates all human understanding, as it is one of the most natural and uncomplicated things on Earth. Your claim that the music you prefer is more "layered/complex" only makes sense in your eyes because you force man-made constructs like meter, time, rhythm, etc. on something that can never be qualitatively measured. You actively try to dissect something that shouldn't be dissected just so you can feel superior to others.
To understand what I'm trying to say, you have to read the original page of the thread which makes the actual claims that more complex series of melodies were easier to interpret under the influence of weed. My point is the fact that if that were true, more layered music would be easier to identify.

Furthermore, the second half of your argument is ridiculous, and presumptuous. I never said my 'ability to dissect music' was better than anyones. I was combating the flagrantly ridiculous claim that pot somehow makes the ability to deconstruction more complex melodies easier as completely ridiculous.

I'll buy it makes you calmer, and may make music more enjoyable. But, consistently, the preference for more simple, bassy, repetitive music is commonly culturally associated with pot. Doom metal, etc. There are exceptions to this, there are people who utilize drugs as a performance aid. There are people who use it for inspiration, as well. I doubt, though, when the pen comes to the paper, and the concrete details of music need to be decided, that it's the best way to go.

I do not buy for one second pot increases, or enhances, any mental capability. Especially does not increase one's attention to detail. I say this from knowing a lot of heavy pot smokers who are under the delusion that they somehow have been mentally enhanced, and very clearly haven't. (NOT people on this forum. People on this forum are awesome pothead, or no.)
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote