Music Banter - View Single Post - Does smoking Marijuana make music better?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #96 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
To understand what I'm trying to say, you have to read the original page of the thread which makes the actual claims that more complex series of melodies were easier to interpret under the influence of weed. My point is the fact that if that were true, more layered music would be easier to identify.

Furthermore, the second half of your argument is ridiculous, and presumptuous. I never said my 'ability to dissect music' was better than anyones. I was combating the flagrantly ridiculous claim that pot somehow makes the ability to deconstruction more complex melodies easier as completely ridiculous.

I'll buy it makes you calmer, and may make music more enjoyable. But, consistently, the preference for more simple, bassy, repetitive music is commonly culturally associated with pot. Doom metal, etc. There are exceptions to this, there are people who utilize drugs as a performance aid. There are people who use it for inspiration, as well. I doubt, though, when the pen comes to the paper, and the concrete details of music need to be decided, that it's the best way to go.

I do not buy for one second pot increases, or enhances, any mental capability. Especially does not increase one's attention to detail. I say this from knowing a lot of heavy pot smokers who are under the delusion that they somehow have been mentally enhanced, and very clearly haven't. (NOT people on this forum. People on this forum are awesome pothead, or no.)
How? I don't know any potheads who like doom metal. I know from experience that Marijuana can help to understand complex music. I actually prefer to listen to more complex music like Jazz and Classical when I smoke. It takes you on a "trip". All those layers of music seem to open up more to the many layers of your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
^This.

It's complete bullshit to say that pot makes you want to listen simple music or that it doesn't make layered complex music easier to dissect. I like to smoke up and listen to big band jazz (among other thing) which happens to be pretty fucking layered and complex at times, and from my experience, I can hear more of what's going on in the music. And, as I've already said before in this thread, it's definitely possible to do the same sober, it just comes naturally when your high.

The "Frank Zappa" defense really doesn't do you shit either cause it doesn't change the fact that you've still never smoked and you don't know what you're talking about.
I think it's because Marijuana opens your mind a little more.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote