Music Banter - View Single Post - Genres You Dislike/Conversion
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #90 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip1985 View Post
I dislike country music. What's weird is that I enjoy old-school country (Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams, etc.) and I partially enjoy women vocalists (Shania Twain, Taylor Swift, etc.). I can think back to the mid '90s when I was rummaging through Mom's cassette tapes and finding guys like Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, Garth Brooks and the like, and not really liking it.

I usually turn off the "genre-switch" in my head when I listen to music. I have so many different types of music, and I can listen to them without missing a beat, but when it comes to country, I cannot listen to it. My buddy listens to it all the time, but also enjoys bands like Nickelback, Creed, Kid Rock and Alter Bridge, 2 of those incorporate country into some of their songs, that being Nickelback and Kid Rock. I thoroughly enjoy both bands, even though I know Kid's last 2-3 records were mostly country-rock crossovers (if that's even a genre?), but I still enjoy them.

I think it's the steel guitar sound I hate. And the fact that (in my opinion) all they seem to sing about is drinking, partying, girls, and lost loves (or current ones). I'm all for these subjects, but it seems every country song is one of these topics. But maybe I'm hypocritical...I like Nu-Metal and all they seem to sing about is how their lives suck.

I hope people can understand my ramblings lol.
The best way to tackle country is to skip over the pop-country that the genre has become known for and go straight to alternative country, and Gothic Americana in particular. Try Sackcloth n' Ashes by 16 Horsepower.

If you like that, try Wovenhand. It's the same singer. Consider the Birds is a good album.

And I'll just throw out a Dark Cabaret band I've been listening to alot lately, The Peculiar Pretzelmen. If you like Tom Waits, chances are that you'll like them. Either Uncanny Eyes or Innumerable Seeds of Calamity.

Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote