Music Banter - View Single Post - Your reaction when confronted with popular music
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy pop music in certain situations. It certainly takes a back seat to other more serious genres, and I don't listen to it when I have other options, but otherwise, I have no problem with pop music. I'm not really a club guy, but I do go to bars and if some Katy Perry, or Lady Ga Ga comes on, I have no problem with it. In fact, I would much rather hear that at a bar than Yes' "Reveling the Science of God." I certainly like that Yes masterpiece better, but not at a bar... that would certainly be a mood kill.

Two other examples:
1) I drive all day for work, so I listen to "my" music all day everyday, so when I go on a road trip with my wife, we listen to Hits1 on XM radio all the way, and I quite enjoy the break; it's kind of like taking a break from reading Hemingway to read the comics-- serious and pop music serve two separate purposes.

2) I've made it a personal rule that during parties at my house, I under no circumstances play progressive rock. No else wants to hear it. Ultimately, I have plenty of time for my music, so I don't mind a pop break here and there, and the guests certainly stay longer and leave happier.