Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #505 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Sometimes it's fun to just take a chance, buy an album based solely on the fact that you like the sound of the band's name. I did it with Alesana, reviewed as the first in this series a little while back, and here again I've chosen to buy an album by a band I know nothing about. I simply like the name of the band, and the title of the album also impresses me. So, after checking that I wasn't inadvertently buying a dance, screamo, punk, rap or other record I wouldn't want to listen to, I hit “BUY” and the die was cast. Was it a good idea to do so, without knowing anything about this album, or the band that recorded it? Well, let's see.

Gracious tide, take me home --- Lanterns on the lake --- 2011 (Bella Union)

After a little post-purchase research, I find that Lanterns on the Lake are a six-piece, from Newcastle and that this is their first full album, although they have had two Eps released prior to this. They formed only in 2007 and have appeared at Glastonbury. They include among their instruments violins, banjos and glockenspiels. Hmm. So far, so interesting. But what about the music?

“Lungs quicken” is their first single, released prior to the advent of the album, in 2010, and it opens the new record. On first listen, it can best be described as heavenly. Slow, soft, with lovely vocals from Hazel Wilde, gorgeous violin from Sarah Kemp, light, relaxed percussion and lovely slide guitar along with atmospheric piano, a beautiful ballad in the very best style of the Beautiful South or Deacon Blue at their most laidback. I just hope it doesn't suddenly explode into something else! I don't think it's going to though. It does get a little more intense halfway through, with the piano and glockenspiel coming more to the fore, but Wilde's gentle vocal keeps the measure of the song throughout, and Paul Gregory's guitar is effective but restrained, while Adam Sykes on the piano puts just the right amount of emotion into the song, and it's a true masterpiece.

And that's only the first song! What else have we got then? Next up is “If I've been unkind”, which opens as another gentle, acoustic guitar-led ballad with that empathic violin, and this time male vocals from Adam Sykes, a sort of softer Nick Cave in his voice. The guitar almost unnoticed switches from acoustic to electric, and a soft banjo sound washes over the song, drenching it in further levels of class. “Keep on trying” is the current single, and it features some really nice vocal harmonies supporting Kemp's emotive violin, though the bulk of the singing is taken by Hazel Wilde again. Beautiful piano merges with equally beautiful guitar, and there's almost a feeling of a string section in there, and what can I say? The tracks just keep getting better, and I'm being sucked in, and love it.

Ever had an angel sing to you? Well, that's how it feels to listen to Hazel Wilde's ethereal, soul-easing, breath-of-life voice, and it's that voice that takes us into “Ships in the rain”, backed only by keys and choral vocals. It's a short song, but really effective. The first step towards any sort of uptempo song comes with “A kingdom”, which bops along nicely on a cool little guitar hook and Wilde again behind the mike. A great song, with a really powerful instrumental ending. Nice. Up next is the longest track on the album, “The places we call home”, opened by a beautiful glockenspiel intro, and... I've heard this before! On some TV show or ad, and wondered who made such gorgeous music. Now I know! Excellent! Oh I like this: this may be my favourite track, at least so far. Back to the slower side of things, Hazel duetting with Adam to create a truly lovely soundscape with the piano and glocken in the background carrying the tune along gently. Another beautiful, gentle instrumental ending, almost one and a half minutes of it, and that takes us to “Blanket of leaves”.

Opening with acoustic piano and violin, another breathy vocal performance from Hazel, with perfectly timed percussion from Oliver Ketteringham, who also plays piano, keys and that enigmatic glockenspiel. Talented people. Wait a minute: I was wrong about “The places we call home”. It's not the longest track, but is beaten out by about twenty seconds by “Tricks”, with Hazel in slightly more sultry mood, lovely piano and glock backing as well as that heartbreaking violin of Sarah's. Great bass work, too, it has to be said, from Brendan Sykes (brother of Adam?), and another powerful instrumental ending. Lanterns on the Lake seem to really know how to play to their strengths here, showcasing Hazel Wilde's quite phenomenal voice and then letting her fade into the background as the rest of the band stretch their musical muscles, and it works very, very well. Oh, it should also be mentioned that Hazel doesn't just sing, she plays guitar too. Is there no end to these people's talents? It would seem not.

“You're almost there” is beautifully piano-driven, Hazel's voice a little rougher and raspier here, Sarah's violin a little angrier and insistent, a banshee under her sole control. Also driven by piano, “I love you sleepyhead” shows Hazel off at her best, a stunning vocal performance against just the piano and a shade of violin coming in from time to time. Truly breathtaking. And yet another powerful, evocative ending that brings the instrumentation back in to finish off what must surely go down as a classic, a masterpiece of modern music. Hyperbole? Maybe, but it really is that good.

We're left with just the one short track to close, the almost inaudible “Not going back to the harbour”, a low-key ending to an album which, though certainly low-key, is very high indeed in terms of quality, musicianship, songwriting and execution. I'm glad I took the chance and bought this album now: all I want now is the next one!

Take my advice: get this album. That's all I have to say. Now, where's that “Repeat” button...?

TRACKLISTING

1. Lungs quicken
2. If I've been unkind
3. Keep on trying
4. Ships in the rain
5. A kingdom
6. The places we call home
7. Blanket of leaves
8. Tricks
9. You're almost there
10. I love you, sleepyhead
11. Not going back to the harbour