Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #149 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'd also kinda like to challenge the US as top dog. We have 300 million people. It would be pretty sad if we hadn't produced a lot of great bands. Unfortunately we also tend to produce incredibly bloated sub genres with vast amounts of crap. Melodic metalcore? Hair metal? Nu-metal? How many thrash bands were there? And most of them just sounded like the last fifty? I think the US may have a bigger percentage of crap than any other country.
That may be true due to your sheer size, but no other country can produce the same variety of metal and with such quality. Most of my favourite bands regardless of genre come from the US and one reason why I love these bands is the diversity between a lot of them. Bands from the west coast sound distinct from the east coast, then there are southern bands and mid western bands and all with a myriad of sounds and influences and often there were bands from one part of the USA doing a sound more typical of another part. British bands were tighter, but in general bands from different parts of the UK didn`t sound that different from one another, which is no surprise given the size of the country.

Looking at metal, you`ve got San Francisco for thrash, Florida for death metal, New Orleans for sludge and a whole load of great metal bands that sound very distinct, from all the other major US cities. If I lived in the USA and had a whole load of money I`d probably go mad, with the sheer choice of bands that I could see live
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote