Music Banter - View Single Post - Best classic rock hidden gems
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #71 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
never knew you are a Sparks' fan

as for me, Boston and REO Speedwagon aren't exactly unknown, but i do feel that they were extremely underrated in the classic rock canon, besides their one or two big hits
As a kid I was a huge Sparks fan, even though they weren`t really popular here in the UK despite having some big hits. They were extremely original and innovative and always willing to try new things, the Mael were very unique. I only have about 4 of their albums but know the whole discography very well. I always loved these quirky US acts of the 70s and 80s (Sparks, Tubes, Cheap Trick, Devo and B52s) as they were so distinctive and a breath of fresh air.

REO are probably rated about right in the classic rock canon, they were good at what they did, but I wouldn`t say they were essential. Boston though, are usually rated as the be all and end all of classic rock by a lot of people, sure an extremely talented band but in reality they only ever put out two great albums and a number of below-par albums.

Queensryche v Kings X wouldn`t really compare those two. Queensryche are a straight up highly polished metal act with prog-rock and rock tendencies, whereas Kings X are just a very diverse rock band that incorporate a myriad of influences from Hendrix and the Beatles to Styx and Kansas with gospel and metal thrown in.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote