Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #973 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
If you see starving children on TV, your "biology" doesn't know that these people are in fact far away on a different continent. We didn't evolve to social situations where we've seen people far away suffer like we might today on the telly. When we saw people suffer, they were close by, and thus we tend to react as if they're part of our "sphere".

Really, I thought that would be obvious.

edit :

Even if biology morals don't serve your selfishness well in today's society doesn't mean they didn't evolve. Environment's changed fast so you should try and put yourself in the "caveman's" shoes before you use examples like this.
This is EXACTLY the reason why morality is subjective. Had I not to see those children suffering on the telly, I probably wouldn't harbor those same feelings.

You talk about having human experience from the subjective perspective, but all of your arguments seem to allude to a moral basis which is true for everyone.

I'd like to start a new thread on this, it's far more interesting to me than the "eat meat, don't eat meat" subject of discourse.