Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Albums I Heartily Endorse
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Mazzy Star
So Tonight That I Might See
(1993)

Track Listing
1.) Fade Into You
2.) Bells Ring
3.) Mary Of Silence
4.) Five String Serenade
5.) Blue Light
6.) She's My Baby
7.) Unreflected
8.) Wasted
9.) Into Dust
10.) So Tonight That I Might See

Listening to this album is like having the most wonderful dream. You're floating in fields of violet, grasping for feather-soft clouds, smiling from ear to ear, and living in this perfect moment that just goes on and on. It's truly one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

The songs stroll along at a dreamy pace, the blissful instrumentation doing just as much to bring along the gorgeous vibe as the ethereal vocals. Even when the instruments become darker, the vibe is still surreal, soft, soothing. It could easily put you into a trance, but only of the most lulling variety. Nothing about the sound is anything other than pleasing to the ears, and that's alays a pleasant reward at the end of a day which was anything but.

This is the perfect album to daydream to, the perfect album to relax to, the perfect album to really calm your nerves. I've been wont to put this album on whilst smoking hookah, blowing smoke rings and watching them fluidly dissipate. Yes. It's that kind of album.

The band are at their peaceful best on the opener "Fade Into You", "Five String Serenade", and "Into Dust", while songs like "Mary of Silence", "She's My Baby", and "Wasted" go a little darker without compromising the band's bizarrely demulcent overall feel.

"Blue Light" is another stand-out track, featuring twangy guitar which would not be out of place in a country song, but the sound is still very firmly tied into the overall dreamscape motif established by the band.

Also well-worth mention is the title track, over seven minutes of wondrous instrumentation, some spoken-word delivery to accompany the beautiful singing, and very interesting and pleasing sounds.

I know that most people are probably already familiar with this album, many probably already love it, but it's one that I can't, in good conscience, not recommend. If you've not heard it, do yourself a favor and check it out. If you have, do yourself a favor and give it another listen. It's that good.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung

Last edited by ThePhanastasio; 11-21-2011 at 01:15 PM.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote