Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Albums I Heartily Endorse
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Johnny Smith
Moonlight In Vermont
(1956)

Track Listing
1.) Where Or When
2.) Tabu
3.) Moonlight In Vermont
4.) Jaguar
5.) Stars Fell On Alabama
6.) Tenderly
7.) (I Don't Stand a) Ghost of a Chance
8.) Vilja
9.) Cavu
10.) I'll Be Around
11.) Yesterdays
12.) Cherokee
13.) Sometimes I'm Happy
14.) Nice Work If You Can Get It
15.) Jaguar (Alternate Version)
16.) My Funny Valentine

Jazz standards played on guitar have never sounded so nice. Johnny Smith, a true master of the instrument, showcases his prowess on Moonlight In Vermont my favorite of his recordings, and does not disappoint at all.

I am huge into free form jazz, and if that's the only type of jazz you enjoy, you may actually want to steer clear of this album; that's not what you're going to get. What you are going to get, however, is pure, smooth, mellow jazz, played beautifully and soulfully by Smith and Co. Oh, and before I forget - the wonderful Stan Getz is also featured on this brilliant classic! Wow!

Standout tracks on this pleasant little album include the Smith-penned "Jaguar" (including an alternate take), "Yesterdays", "Nice Work If You Can Get It", and, of course, the title track. Anyone with an appreciation for jazz will find this to be a very nice album to put on and listen to, even if there's really nothing that really takes off and goes above and beyond. It's very honest, sweet, and sincere playing by some truly fantastic musicians.

As this album is so well-known to many, and the tracks and melodies will for the most part prove quite familiar to the average listener, there's not much more I can say about it. I can say that it's definitely a positive listening experience, and you're not going to regret time spent listening to this album. Technically flawless, not a note out of place, and beautifully presented. One of those rare albums that wows without being even remotely flashy. Check it out.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung

Last edited by ThePhanastasio; 11-21-2011 at 01:19 PM.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote