Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Albums I Heartily Endorse
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Serafina Steer
Change Is Good, Change Is Good
(2010)

Track Listing
1.) Shut Up Shop
2.) Day Glo
3.) GSOH
4.) The Valley
5.) Motion Pictures
6.) Drinking While Driving
7.) How To Haunt a House Party
8.) Margoton
9.) Port Isaac
10.) The Sisters Of Proportion
11.) Half Robot
12.) Ulular

The way I discovered Serafina Steer's music is EASILY the weirdest way I've ever been introduced to the existence of an artist I'd never heard of.

I was in Washington DC at a Ben Folds concert in 2008, walking around by myself with the beer my over-21 girlfriend had purchased for me, when a drunk girl saw me, screamed, "OH MY GOD!" and grabbed me. Needless to say, I was taken aback and very confused. She kept saying, "You're Serafina!" which was news to me, as that's not my name, nor has it ever been. I kept telling her I wasn't, but she thought I was messing with her and just didn't want to be recognized. She asked me if I had my harp with me, and finally, I was just like, "No, I don't like to travel with it," and she wanted an autograph so I just scribbled the letter 'S' and some squiggles on a piece of paper for her. She walked away happy; I was just very confused and oddly flattered.

When I got home, I had to figure out who the fuck this Serafina lady was. Turns out, I don't think I even look all that much like her, nor am I English (which should have been a dead giveaway, I feel) but she does have pretty awesome music. This album is her most recent full length release, and it's very pretty and enjoyable. I dig the harp in more "indie-friendly" music dynamic she has going, and I think she has a lovely voice.

Others may disagree greatly with me, but I'd put her sound kind of close to an Ingrid Michaelson-esque vibe, with notes of Regina Spektor in the vocal delivery. Her music is a nice brand of indie pop that is very listenable, very delicate and sad in places, and something I really, really enjoy.

I find myself sincerely hoping this lady's career takes off; she's pretty damn good.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung

Last edited by ThePhanastasio; 11-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote