Music Banter - View Single Post - The False Beatles Image of 1967?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
...The Beatles were pretending to be something that they weren’t.

As evidence of this, just look at what they were wearing. For “Sgt. Pepper’s,” they were wearing neon, day-glow band uniforms, and it got worse for the "Magical Mystery Tour," where they donned stuffed animal costumes. To me, they just looked ridiculous.

Plus, if you compare their image to the other bands of 1967, they just look even more absurd. The other bands from that era wouldn't be caught dead in bright, neon band uniforms or stuffed animal costumes. Can you imagine the Doors wearing stuffed animal costumes...
Your comparison never occurred to me, but you`re right; the way the two bands presented themselves were worlds apart.

I don`t think the differences are particularly about drug use, though. I think they arise more from personality and circumstance. The Beatles had spent years at the top of the entertainment business, and under the guidance of avuncular figures like Brian Epstein and George Martin they were still, at the time of Sgt. Pepper, committed to the idea of giving the fans something exciting. Hence all the "Welcome to the Show" album art.
The Doors, lean and hungry newcomers, were exploring an altogether more sombre vein and, largely due to Jim Morrison`s personality, were much more rebellious towards the old-fashioned notions of showbiz that The Beatles still embraced. Lucky for the Doors if, as a result, they look cooler on their album sleeves today.

Also, the two bands illustrate the different ways people responded to the psychedelic revolution. You can see it in the footage of festival audiences too: some people in flamboyant costumes, some putting less effort into their appearance. It`s a pretty dodgy step, though, to say, "That guy`s more into drugs because of his clothes."
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote