Music Banter - View Single Post - New Vinyl Releases - Are They Really Worth It?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 03:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
Are you of the opinion that if we had a better digital-based format and if our standard for digital recordings were much higher, it could be a viable alternative to analog recordings? I always figured at some point there wouldn't any audible difference.
I never really did a serious comparison. What I can say is that when I record a proper piece of vinyl to my PC in 16 bit 44.100, it's ruined. It just sounds like a CD with some background noise. There's no reason for wanting to do that.
But when I set my soundcard to 192khz 24 bit, the difference is a lot smaller. The record still has a bit more 'space' between the instruments, but that could also be caused by the fact that my soundcard just isn't any better (it's a nice ESI Juli@, but there's definitely better ones out there).

Long story short; If CD's were recorded in 192khz 24 bit, I wouldn't hate them so much. They probably wouldn't be better than vinyl records, but at least it would be listenable.