Music Banter - View Single Post - The False Beatles Image of 1967?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Well, I didn't think anyone would ever agree with me on this post-- partly because I think my original post didn't convey my point very well.
And for the the record, my original post was just a question... I wasn't presenting it as fact.
Thank you for being so polite about my post, RMR; let me return the compliment by saying that your post was fine too; very interesting and it did a great job of provoking discussion.

Quote:
This topic would have probably have been better off as a simple poll:

Yes or No, Did the Beatles look ridiculous on the cover of their 1967 releases compared to the other band images of that year, and was their image on those record covers used to convey an image of drug use?
If you had put a poll, my answers would be:
Yes, now that you mentioned it, they did look pretty silly.
No, I think the drugs came first, which led them to try anything that was different. There was an attitude at the time very neatly summed up in a Syd Barrett lyric," To be extreme just to be extreme" and I think The Beatles were just following through on their inspiration, saying, "Look at what is possible with drugs, music and new ideas." If they did go OTT, they aren`t the only people to`ve made drug-induced errors of judgement !
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote