Music Banter - View Single Post - Surreptitiously, However...
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #50 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

This summer, I went on a 12 mile walk at night. Sounds deafeningly stupid, doesn't it? Well, it was bloody worth it. Me and a few friends gathered up, had a pint of Erdinger, and went on our way.
After we made it out of the city, we followed along the island's shore at a slow pace, walking along the fairly dark streets, with lamps placed only here and there. We stopped a few times to have a drink or grab a bite, which is probably why we only arrived at our destination at about 5 a.m.
The whole hike was in the context of a religious pilgrimage, and we saw other people passing us by or indeed coming back from the place where we were headed. Not being particularly religious, I took it in a whole other way. In fact, most of my friends, despite being religious (and at risk of being blasphemous here), usually go along for the fantastic scenery, the drinking and a laugh as well. Why, it wouldn't be as appealing otherwise.
Taking that into account, we were obviously horsing about a fair bit, but towards the latter half of the walk, as we grew a bit more tired, I comfortably entered a state of deep contemplation. I couldn't at all get over how brightly the stars shone, how utterly beautiful the moon, peeking at us from amidst the clouds, was. I was literally speechless, drawing nearer to our destination but always looking directly up at the sky or left at the moon and at the sea, which bore its reflection very flatteringly.
That was when I decided that Mr. John Martyn (who died in 2009, bless him) was to accompany me in my trip, and after soliciting his presence with a mere click of the play button, he did.
Is there anything in life which is better than walking along a path that seems ever winding with a handful of friends, gazing at the fantastic scenery and listening to such brilliant music?

"I dont' want to know about evil,
Only want to know about love..."

"Oh my lover, we can go down easy;
Oh my darling, we can go down easy."

"Bless the weather that brought you to me
Curse the storm that takes you away
Bless the weather that brought you to me
Curse the storm that takes you home."

There's another song which is in the deluxe edition of Solid Air that I played to death, but I can't at all find it on youtube. It's called When It's Dark. Quite worth the listen if you find it.

Once we finally arrived at our destination, we entered a church which was full of people to the very brim, but completely silent. Not a word could be heard. My friends and I sat on a pew, unbelievably tired, and stared at the bright yellow light which shone from a chandelier, at the golden altar, at the lighted candles...
We had arrived.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote