Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite version of Summertime?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Well I figured people would tell me what they liked about it.
That's a little bit presumptuous

Surely if you believe it to be better than the other versions posted in this thread, you can outline what you think it better about it? Is it the overall sound? Is it the different instruments? Is it that you simply aren't a fan of the other styles? Do you normally like Jazz music? What about the Janis Joplin version? It also uses guitar but it is overall a much harsher, desperate sound, with definite differences in genre.

I guess I just find it surprising that you have no more than "I guess I like it" to add. Everything I know about you points to an obsession with music, and also to the sound (to the extent that you go through great efforts to find even the best medium through which to listen to your music). Surely, after all this time of listening to music with such intensity, you are able to describe why you like a track? Maybe there is something in the other tracks that you don't like?

Personally, I think the Brainbox version is good, solid, but nothing particularly special. It plods along a bit, and the high pitched wails every 30 seconds or so annoy me: they're totally superfluous, potentially obligatory additions due to the genre. It lacks the intensity of the Ella/Louis and Joplin versions, you don't really get any feeling for it, and it sounds like... just another song. Maybe if you could outline what it is about this track (or indeed about the artist) that you find elevates them above the other artists in this thread, be it a purely personal or more technical reason, I could listen to the track again, with this new information in mind.

After all, that's the point of posting, isn't it?

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote