Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Wars!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #668 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Gonna have to go with Unearthly Trance.

I love how Coffinworm have this Hellhammer meets doom metal thing going on. They have a really great raw sound that brings to mind a time when metal took itself far less seriously and just wanted to make sick music.

But Unearthly Trance just have a more developed and better executed sound. They just have this great depressing doom metal sound that they get by mixing it with nihilistic Celtic Frost-esque black metal rather than just trying to sound like another My Dying Bride rip off. Everything about this record just screams nihilism and catharsis. I also love the guitar tone that's heavy on feedback.

Although on further listening to more Unearthly Trance, I probably would have suggested Electrocution rather than The Trident, it's still a massively satisfying album. Also, Coffinworm should get some extra credit due to the fact that When All Become None is there first album and The Trident is Unearthly Trance's third. I'm excited to see where Coffinworm go from here.

Unearthly Trance - 1
Coffinworm - 0
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote