Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #544 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Bad English --- Bad English --- 1989 (Epic)

What do you get when you put together the likes of John Waite, Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon? Journey II? No, you get Bad English, a supergroup who released two albums in the late eighties, of which this was the self-titled debut. As you might expect, it's chock-full of power rockers, faultless playing, great songwriting and some lovely ballads.

Bad English really don't put a foot wrong, from explosive opener "Best of what I got" to low-key closer "Don't walk away", and in all, five hit singles were released from the album, which went double-platinum. Unlike some supergroups, who make it obvious that they're only getting together for the money, Bad English always feel like they're in it for the music, and there's no hint of either boredom, by-the-numbers playing or even one-upmanship.

I really can't fault this record. I bought it, not knowing who was involved, and I loved it. Standouts would be, for me, "Price of love", "When I see you smile", "Forget me not", "Ghost in your heart" --- ah, hell, just the whole album! If there are weak tracks, maybe (maybe) "Ready when you are", but even then it's a close-run thing.

Bad English? Great album!

TRACKLISTING

1. Best of what I got
2. Heaven is a four letter word
3. Possession
4. Forget me not
5. When I see you smile
6. Tough times don't last
7. Ghost in your heart
8. Price of love
9. Ready when you are
10. Lay down