Music Banter - View Single Post - Post your baroque music videos here
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #54 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I recall someone on MusicBanter saying how sick he was of hearing Vivaldi's Four Seasons, yet I was listening to "Winter" again this morning and felt once more what a great piece it is. There's a reason it is much beloved.

"Winter" is evocative, colorful, emotional, and incredibly energetic. I like it a lot. If a person's mind had to be distilled into one piece of music, the Four Seasons is a pretty good trace to leave of oneself (understatement).

Yet as much fun as it is to listen to this piece, actually playing it is even better! What impresses me about "Winter" is how simple the orchestra parts are, at least for the violins.

Also, while playing in the orchestra one can hear parts within the music that don't project as well in some recordings, which makes performing it even more fun than just listening. For example, the cello has a very dynamic, racing line in the second, sweeter movement. I was surprised to hear the cello playing such an active and interesting part, because it can be somewhat hidden under the rest of the instruments in recordings.

Here's more about Vivaldi (who had red hair!) and the Four Seasons:
Antonio Vivaldi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VIVALDI: "Four Seasons" Sonnets texts in Italian & English

Vivaldi - "Winter" Violin Concerto from the Four Seasons

^ Ahhh.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote