Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #852 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
It's the mid season break, so the show won't be back with new episodes until February.

What bugs me most about the show is that it only seems to be Shane who's acting like I'd expect someone to act after the downfall of civilization. I mean I don't expect everyone to start losing their humanity and reverting to a barbarian mentality all at once, but it's a plot element that not one character can carry, because it just makes them an stereotype. I'm also flabbergasted by Rick's desire for Lori to keep the baby, I mean I can understand his protest against abortion as a character trait of his idealism, but idealism kind of becomes null and void once people start returning from the dead and EATING OTHER PEOPLE. Pragmatism sets the foundation and then idealism builds on top of it once they've actually got something to build on, and in their world, that foundation is gone. I know this is probably a character arc for Rick to slowly lose that idealism overtime and adopt a more gruff, pragmatic view, but the way they're handling it is clumsy in my eyes.

edit: wooo 4,000 posts.
I disagree only to the extent that realistically the shift from idealism to a barbaric mentally would be much slower and more subtle given the situation they're currently in. Much of that shift occurs in thought processes that don't necessarily manifest in the actions of the respective characters in the same way and at the same rate. I think the character development has been superb, with the exception of Rick, who seems to show nothing less than the cliche Dudley-Do-Right altruistic behavior no matter what the situation happens to be, but then again he has the near constant audience of his wife and child, which would seem to repress any whims of self-interest.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote