Music Banter - View Single Post - The Evolution of Music: Accident, or Adaptation?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #45 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeden888 View Post
So, the fact that some author states that contemporary music has evolved and continues to function as a courtship display. And, I say no it hasn't, I disagree, I do not believe that. I have another opinion. Gee, how ignorant of me to have an opinion that is totally valid and poignant to the fact of just how contemporary music is influenced by powerful record moguls, who mold and shape performers for profit, rather than how it has 'evolved' and continues to function as some primate mating ritual.
You completely misunderstand the author - and the point of the thread - and continue to do so even when I've pointed out your obvious mistake several times.

What the author means is that whatever it is in our biology that makes us have a capacity to create and enjoy music is still evolving - as in the genetic makeup that code for those traits are still changing with each generation and he's saying, perhaps a bit clumsily, that people with musical skill on average have higher fitness today than the non-musical. Genres and culture is not part of that statement. It's about evolving DNA.

When he's writing about the evolution of music, what he means is the evolution of man's cacapity and desire to create and listen to music and the role that it plays from an evolutional point of view. Why did it evolve and is it still evolving for the same reason?

You write stuff like how music was made to appease the gods. If you knew anything about evolution at all, you would know that appeasing the gods, unless they actually exist and reward you with sex, is not something that will reward you with increased fitness. And so, as an argument against evolution, it's completely worthless.

The point of the authors is that in our history, and this is something that would have gone on for thousands upon thousands of years, musical people have had higher fitness. They've on average had more offspring. Their suggested explanation is that women find men who are musical more attractive. The reason it's women who find men attractive and not vice versa is because females, carrying babies around in their bodies who use their resources and then feeding them milk after birth, have a tremendously high parental input into offspring compared to what men can get away with and so they have to make sure they get good sexual partners. Men can shoot their load and take off. In evolution, this is extremely important and has far reaching consequences.

If you really think that music is not evolving, you should make a proper argument that has to do with evolution. And, just so you know, mankind never stops evolving and so claiming music doesn't evolve will automatically make you wrong.

Now, the reason I call you stupid is really because you come here, don't know what the hell the thread is about, posts like you think you do and then do it in the douchiest, most pretentious way possible, suggesting Pedestrian through away the book as you know better, claiming the authors are wrong and trying to score cred by boasting about your psychology minor. If that's not being a stupid, douchy idiot, I don't know what is.

Quote:
How about you? I'm sure you have a PhD, right?
No, but I am a biologist with a master's degree in biology so I've studied evolution and so, unlike you, understand the subject of the thread.

edit :

Quote:
If you're going to call someone out as stupid, and completely ignorant of the topic at hand, have some class.
That's funny.

Quote:
Maybe, I need some stupid pills. Could you recommend a good stupid doctor?

Perhaps I should point out clearly that before you go around calling someone stupid, you might want to put down the PBR, and consider finishing 5th grade.
The third time's the charm they say.

I'm just guessing, however, I have no idea. You may be 12 or 13, who knows?
I never checked your profile, so, you may not read English so well.
I certainly don't mean to assume you are stupid like me.

But, since I do actually have a degree in psychology, I feel like I am qualified to have a different opinion on the subject. How about you? I'm sure you have a PhD, right?
Classy

Last edited by Guybrush; 12-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote