Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #3789 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
I will admit that I'm not well-versed enough in the genre to make any real distinctions. I tried to read The Hobbit when I was 11 and it just didn't click with me, same with the Lord of the Rings series when the movies started coming out. I absolutely adored the films but for whatever reason I had a real tough time getting into the books. I can't even really say what it was that made it difficult, but I also haven't tried since I was about 14 so perhaps it's time for a retread once I'm up-to-date with the A Song of Fire and Ice series. I was always more into contemporary fiction, science fiction, and horror as a child and teen, and those preferences carried on into my adult life. Once I have finished my current series and retry the Lord of the Rings series, I may give the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series a chance, however that will probably not be for a few months at the earliest and it will take me some time to get caught up with my current series. By all means if you've got some recommendations I would love to hear them.
The Wheel of Time is a bit hit and miss in my opinion. It's a decent story, but there are at least two books that are basically filler, and it's not very... original. The thing about Fantasy is that it's a very broad genre - You might like the simple fact that it is set in a different time, a different universe, you might like the development of the characters, you might like the generally epic-form adventure storyline. For me personally, it's a bit of a mix: I can't stand books that don't have well thought out characters, I love it when the author has obviously put a lot of effort into the world they have created - it can take away hugely from my entertainment if there are big gaps or fuzziness.

I would certainly recommend giving The Lord of The Rings a second try, I personally love most of what Tolkein has written but I understand that is not universal. With some information about what it is that you enjoy about the Fantasy you have read, and what you didn't, I'd be happy to give more recommendations if you want them

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote