Music Banter - View Single Post - Wear Metal / Rock Shirts?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Good thread. I don't wear rock T's either; just not my style; I'm a pretty conservative dresser.

I hate to say this, but I end up being judgmental of people who do wear them-- **if the person looks like they really don't know the band**

This really started when target and department stores started selling The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, and Pink Floyd shirts. At that point, which was a few years ago, I started seeing 15-year old girls wearing Pink Floyd shirts, and I would kind of get the urge to give them a pop quiz on the band or something (I never did that of course, and my wife thinks I'm insane for even joking around about it), but my thought process is that they are wearing the shirt as a fashion statement and not for their love of the band (I guess there's nothing wrong with that either, which my wife also pointed out), but I'll admit that I kind of take offense to it. I'll also admit that this is completely irrational thinking, but hey-- that's how I feel.

As another example, I saw a guy the other day wearing an Opeth T-shirt, and he looked the part, so I struck up a conversation about Opeth asking him what he thought of their new album "Heritage," and he didn't even know that they had a new album. In his defense, he probably thought I was the poser talking about Opeth while wearing dress pants and a tie.

Anyway, this thread probably sounds very judgmental, and I normally don't think of myself as a judgmental person, but I confess that's my take on the whole Rock T-thing. I have no problem with it from a style stand point, but I guess I feel like you should really know the band, if you're going to wear the shirt.